In 2020, we are seeking a better understanding of future learners, their learning journeys and how institutions are responding to these. Areas for discussion include:
How do we respond to the changing nature of the learner population, their profiles, ambitions, objectives and expectations?
- With growth in “non-traditional” students, lifelong learners, and the growing numbers of students displaced or in some form of mobility, how have learners expectations changed and developed? What will these be in the next generation?
- What do the new generation of global learners expect in terms of learning experience and support?
- Is there a common understanding of care and support for the physical and mental well-being of students, as well as the provision of safe spaces and protection of freedom of speech? Is it important to have a common, global interpretation and if so how do we reach this?
How are learning journeys evolving? Including lifelong pathways through student, to researcher, practitioner and innovator:
- How can learners access education in new ways?
- How can learning providers reach new types of learner and maintain relationships across a lifetime of learning? What are the changing modes of engaging with students globally and the contexts in which they operate throughout their learning journey?
- How will student enterprise and innovation be measured?
What does it mean to be a learner in a global academic community?
- Should education focus on reflecting global knowledge? Understanding how to apply knowledge in different cultural contexts? Experiencing learning in different contexts? Developing global competencies?
- Developing attitudes, capabilities and ‘soft’ skills alongside subject knowledge, are seen as critical in equipping students to develop innovative solutions. But how do different types of learners view this? And how can we strengthen learners’ critical thinking so they are able to generate innovative solutions and to view these through a variety of inter-disciplinary lenses to ensure the best possible outcomes?