Friday 4 May 2018, 09.30 - 10.30
In this session we will look at three contrasting tensions and demands that our higher education institutions and systems are addressing around the world: how to work effectively with and learn from industry; ensuring autonomy in the system; and future proofing leadership for sustainability.
This will be a highly interactive session discussing the need for cross-cultural expertise from leaders of institutions.
- How can we balance such diverse demands on our institutions and are we doing this effectively?
- What kind of competencies and skills do we need in our leadership models to ensure we are able to address such a diversity of assignments?
- How well are we able to organise and manage such a mixed portfolio?
- What policies and practices will improve the development of capabilities for leadership in our universities?
- Alison Johns, Chief Executive, Advance HE, UK (Chair)
- Professor Arham Bin Abdullah, Director – Industry Relation Division, Higher Education Department, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia
- Professor Richard A. Williams OBE, Vice-Chancellor, Heriot-Watt University, UK