The aim of the Newton PhD programme is to facilitate the capacity building of individuals, and the building of sustainable, long-lasting links between UK and overseas institutions, through PhD scholarships, placements, and partnerships.
- Funding for individual partner country students to undertake full PhD studies in the UK, or vice versa.
- Funding for individual partner country PhD students to spend a period of their study (up to one year) in the UK, or vice versa.
- Institutional partnerships between UK and partner country HEIs and research institutions, focussed on PhD training and skills development.
- Open to all UK institutions eligible for Research Council funding that have capacity to provide excellent post graduate training. UK institutions would work with potential partners from Newton Fund countries and the proposals will be jointly submitted by the two partner institutions.
- Awards will be in the range of £50k - £150K per partnership, and calls and peer review approaches would be negotiated bilaterally with funding partners, with the expectation that these will be coordinated by RCUK.
Calls and Opportunities
Calls under the Newton PhD programme will launch on a country by country basis, and will run in some countries only. All opportunities under this programme will be listed on this page, as well as the general British Council Science and Research opportunities page.Open calls
Please check here for updates, or subscribe to the Euraxess UK newsletter here.
Support for overseas applicants
Once a call for applications is live, the HE Internaitonal Unit can support applicants from overseas who are looking to come to the UK on a PhD grant. They support with the following:
- Assisting candidates in identifying potential PhD programmes and/or supervisors in their field of study at UK Universities
- Facilitating contact between applicants, academics and University admissions staff
- Acting as a general point of assistance for PhD candidates/scholars during the application process
For more information please visit their webpage.