ABOUT NEWTON RESEARCHER LINKS TRAVEL GRANTS
Researcher Links Travel Grants provide financial support for early-career researchers to undertake an international research placement to strengthen links for future collaboration, build research capacity in developing economies, and enhance the researcher's career opportunities.
Researchers that reside in the UK can apply for funding to visit a university or research institution in one of the partner countries, and those residing in one of the partner countries can apply for funding to come to the UK.
These grants are funded under the Newton Fund, a UK Government initiative funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), together with partner funders from around the world. The Fund aims to promote the economic development and welfare of either the partner countries or, through working with the partner country, to address the problems of low-income and vulnerable populations.
- Duration of visit: 1-6 months depending on the country
- Priority areas: Partner countries may specify priority areas and will only accept applications within these. Priority areas are listed in the guidelines document (download section).
- ODA requirement: All applications must meet the required relevance to economic development or social welfare (see guidelines for further information) of the partner country.
Philippines, Indonesia, South Africa.
- Applicants must be based either in the UK, or in the partner countries listed above, and be affiliated with a recognised publicly funded research establishment or public or private Higher Education Institution. For-profit organisations are not eligible to receive any grant funds. Please see list of eligible UK research institutions available from the download section.
- Travel may only be between the UK and partner country, but can be in either direction.
- Generally Travel Grants are only open to early-career researchers. Please read the guidelines for further information and contact us if you are in doubt.
Other eligibility criteria apply. Please refer to the guidelines document available from the download section below for full eligibility criteria.
19 September 2017, 16:00 UK time
All queries or comments about this call should be addressed to the Researcher Links email address UK-ResearcherLinks@britishcouncil.org. Please specify that you are enquiring about the Newton Researcher Links Travel Grants call.