ABOUT NEWTON INSTITUTIONAL LINKS
Newton Institutional Links aims to build UK-partner country research and innovation collaborations centred on shared research and innovation challenges which have direct relevance to social welfare and economic development.
This programme is designed to establish links beyond the level of the individual researcher and innovation practitioner, opening up opportunities for more sustainable, solution-oriented collaborations between academic groups as well as with the private and third sector (e.g. SMEs, NGOs, technology transfer offices and other not-for-profit organisations).
These grants are funded under the Newton Fund, a UK Government initiative funded by the UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), together with partner funders from around the world. The Fund aims to promote the economic development and welfare of either the partner countries or, through working with the partner country, to address the problems of low-income and vulnerable populations.
- Size of grant: £50,000 - £300,000
- Priority areas: Partner countries may specify priority areas and will only accept applications within these. Priority areas are listed in the guidelines document (downloads section).
- ODA requirement: All applications must meet the required relevance to economic development or social welfare (see guidelines for further information) of the partner country.
Applications can be submitted for collaborations between the UK and Brazil, Egypt, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines and Thailand.
- Each proposal must have one Principal Applicant from the UK, as well as a Principal Applicant from the partner countries listed above.
- All Principal Applicants must be Leading Researchers or Established Researchers as defined by the EC here.
- Please see the list of eligible UK research institutions available in the downloads section below.
Other eligibility criteria apply. Please refer to the guidelines document available from the downloads section below for full eligibility criteria.
THIS CALL IS NOW CLOSED
HOW TO APPLY
- Download and read fully the guidelines document from the downloads section.
- Complete the online application form here. A Word Docx version of the application form is available from the downloads section. This is intended to give applicants knowledge of the questions in the online application form only, and cannot be used to submit an application.
If you are experiencing issues with downloading the budget spreadsheet, please try using a different browser (Google Chrome) or email UK-InstitutionalLinks@britishcouncil.org to receive a copy
All queries or comments about this call should be addressed to the Institutional Links email address UK-InstitutionalLinks@britishcouncil.org. Please specify that you are enquiring about the Newton Institutional Links call.