Generation UK–China can benefit institutions by:
- promoting the benefits of gaining international higher education experience and skills abroad
- increasing the number of students from your institution undertaking international placements
- helping with the development of new partnerships with organisations in China
- supporting existing partnerships and placements with China
- developing bespoke programmes for your students to gain experience in emerging economies such as China
We currently offer funding support for British students enrolled at UK universities (or recent graduates) to engage with China through the following programmes:
- Internships (two month placements across six cities in China)
- Academic scholarships (placements vary from 5-11 months across a range of locations)
We encourage young people to engage with China by:
- highlighting the benefits of gaining study or work experience in China
- offering advice and guidance to individuals interested in pursuing opportunities in China
- creating a wider network of British professionals and programme alumni to engage with China by sharing experiences through online dialogue and a series of events in the UK
In the first two years of the Generation UK–China campaign the number of young British nationals studying and working in China has grown by over 50 per cent.
We have established partnerships with a wide range of UK and Chinese universities, and assisted in developing bespoke programmes as part of an initiative to help businesses support their young talent and future leaders to engage with and understand China.
Generation UK is also committed to widening participation by providing funded opportunities to those who would not normally have access or the financial means to undertake an internship or study programme in China. Through our programmes, students are able to gain international work experience that is either related to what they are studying at university or their future career aspirations to help boost their cultural understanding and employment prospects.
As part of the campaign’s legacy, we have created a network of programme alumni, as well as wider young and experienced professionals in China related fields. The network ensures on-going engagement with China and provides a platform for alumni to share experiences, discuss issues and stay up to date with the latest trends and opportunities in China. We host bi-annual events in the UK and work with partners to provide a range of opportunities for members to deepen their China connection.