Social enterprise in a global context: the role of higher education institutions
Call for tender
Deadline for receipt of queries: Wednesday 18 February 2015
Deadline for submission of tenders: 17.00 hrs, GMT, Thursday 26 February 2015
Successful organisation notified by: Thursday 5 March 2015
Project kick-off meeting: March 2015
Interim Review: Sept / Oct 2015
Project completion date: April / May 2016
This international research project responds to developments in both the higher education and social enterprise sectors in the UK and internationally by seeking to understand and enhance the role of international co-operation between higher education institutions (HEI) and social enterprises (SE).
The role of HEIs in promoting and contributing to the social enterprise sector appears to be increasing given the growing interest of students and scholars in combining societal good and business. While HEI involvement in social enterprises has been assessed on a national level, less attention has been given to the role of existing and unfolding international co-operation.
This project fills this gap by conducting activities including research, experts’ meetings and the promotion of HEI’s role in social enterprises in public and private forums across four continents.
This research study will aim to identify the benefits and challenges of partnership between HEIs and SEs operating within an international context.
The project’s research will include:
- A mapping of social enterprise activities led by HEIs in six to eight selected countries representing Europe, Africa, Latin America and Asia, for example:
- The development and implementation of a qualitative and quantitative research framework that captures the contribution of HEI involvement and the impact of multi/bilateral co-operations on local, national and regional level in social enterprises and related communities in these countries.
- The development of a novel publication (and iinfographics) to present the research and mapping of best practices (case studies).
The British Council is looking to appoint a reputable organisation with the following qualities:
- Strong research and macroeconomic data portfolio, evidenced by previous projects.
- Expertise in international education and macroeconomic research – evidenced by previous research projects and consultancy carried out for education and government establishments.
- Strong dedicated team with suitable experience and qualifications.
- Knowledge and experience of HE and SE sectors.
Please read the tender document for full details.
How to apply
Please download and read the tender document below for full details.
Applicants will need to respond to the call for tender with:
- Details on how you propose to approach the research objectives (max. 10 A4 pages)
- Short biography indicating previous relevant research work and experience of each team member who will be involved in this project (max. 1 A4 for narrative biography + max. 3 A4 pages annex with CV)
- Project plan showing utilisation of suggested team members (max. 2 A4 pages)
- Detailed costing of each of the research items
- Detailed timescales.
Applications should be submitted by 17.00 GMT on Thursday 26 February 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions should be sent to email@example.com.