Call for interest / consultancy opportunity on big data and health talk in Istanbul
Application deadline: Friday 3 April 2015
Date of talk: Tuesday 28 April 2015
Scientific research and innovation underpins economic prosperity, The most successful scientific collaborations are often international ones. In order to further these collaborations between UK and Turkey, 2015 has been designated the "UK–Turkey Year of Science and Innovation."
In addition to supporting a range of mobility and partnership opportunities for the academic community, we are planning a series of outreach events designed to engage the wider public in scientific debates. We aim to raise public awareness and curiosity about science and innovation with the aim of inspiring the next generation school students to choose STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects for their university education.
The talks will take place in six different cities across Turkey, focusing on different popular science subjects from April 2015 to February 2016:
- Big Data and Health (Istanbul) – April 2015
- IP & Entrepreneurship (Ankara) – May 2015
- Water Desalination/Water Sustainability (Antalya) – June 2015
- Chemistry and Health (Izmir) – September 2015
- Biotechnology (Adana) – December 2015
- Green Tech/Energy Efficiency (Bursa) – February 2016
We are looking for an expert from the UK with extensive experience of public engagement activities to address the first talk in ‘big data health’. An honorarium of £500 will be paid and all travel expenses will be covered by the British Council. The talks may be recorded for subsequent television broadcast.
- To promote discussion and debate of scientific issues relevant to daily life among the public
- To raise awareness of the dynamism of science in an interesting and engaging way
- To inspire the next generation of students to pursue studies and careers in STEM subjects
- To celebrate the UK-Turkey Year of Science and Innovation by encouraging participation beyond the academic community