Apply by: Monday 14 December 2015
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. Our team in Pakistan manages a range of activities that sit within four strategic business units (SBUs): English, Arts, Education, and Society. In addition, the Research, Evaluation and Monitoring Unit (REMU) was created in 2013 to elevate the British Council as a thought leader and to add depth, evidence, and thus credibility to our SBUs programmes. REMU has published many successful research reports in line with the global trend of individual empowerment including; ‘Pakistan’s Cultural and Creative Industries’, and ‘Mainstreaming Disability in Pakistan’ and 'Skills Disconnect'.
British Council Pakistan also began ‘The Next Generation Research Series’ in 2009 which brought the opinions and perspectives of young people in Pakistan to the forefront of policy debates. REMU supports the appeal made in these reports for Pakistan to harness the potential of its youth. We believe that the individual empowerment of young Pakistanis in both Pakistan and in the UK is a crucial determining element in the future of Pakistan.
British Council Pakistan and Higher Education Commission have designed and proposed a new programme to support and enahnce the presence of women in higher education institutions (HEIs) in Pakistan. Key objective of this three years programme is to:
- increase the number of women in higher education senior academic and administrative positions through mentoring and life coaching
- provide opportunities for women professional development through mentoring and continued professional development programmes.
- increase the number of women researchers and development of research networks.
- Provide more international linkages and collaboration opportunities to Pakistani women academics
The programme will start with a baseline research on the current status and presence of women in HEIs. Main components of the programme will be:
- Mapping study including SWOT analysis
- Development of capacity building programme through research and development funds, travel grants, counselling, mentoring, fellowships and research attachments
- Design and launch of mentoring programme supported by UK universities
- Design and launch a leadership programme for Women in Higher Education.
- Proposed policy reform for improved quantity and quality of women academics and professionals in HEIs.
We are looking for a UK consultant to map the current status of women in higher education in Pakistan. The UK consultant will work in collaboration with a Pakistani consultant in order to conduct the research.
The research project will include:
- A literature review to be completed with the aim to develop the questionnaire
- Questionnaire in English designed and pretested in Pakistan
- Online surveys circulated through Higher Education Commission or other university network to all universities
- 15 Vice chancellors and Deans and Registrars in both public and private universities to be interviewed - The universities will be identified with help of HEC across Pakistan.
- Emerging themes to be developed for analysis and interventions
- In-depth analysis and report writing conducted by the consultants
Person or organisation with relevant experience. Please read how to apply for details about requirements.
How to apply
The expression of interest should include:
- Personal and/or organisational profile and up to date CV/s
- A short statement describing your approach /methodology
- Total fee for completed delivery of all stated outputs with a breakdown of given costs
- Evidence of the required qualifications and experience:
- Understanding of the British Council’s objectives (essential)
- Understanding of Higher Education frameworks (essential)
- Two years’ experience of working on funded research projects (essential)
- Two years’ full-time experience of analysing data and report writing (essential)
- Authored reports published in international peer reviewed journals (essential)
- Experience of working internationally on women focussed higher education projects (desirable)
- A literature review will be required to be completed before the survey to aid the development of the questionnaire by this consultancy
- To develop a succinct literature review of the women in higher education in Pakistan
- To analyse the questionnaire results and indicate emerging themes
- Submit a draft report which will include: foreword, executive summary, four to six chapters on the emerged themes, recommendations including an indicative action/intervention plan
- Complete the full report for public dissemination in a timely manner, and produce three to four slide infographics on the main findings
Deliverables for UK and Pakistani consultant:
|UK consultant||Pakistani consultant|
|Literature review||Literature review|
|Methodology design||Development of instruments with the help UK consultant|
|Questionnaire design||Data collection|
|Analysis, report writing||Analysis with UK Consultant|
|Indicative Action/intervention plan||Indicative Action/intervention plan|
Please submit your expression of interest by Friday 4 December 2015 with the email subject 'Research consultancy Women in Higher Education' to: Zaineb.Naveed@britishcouncil.org.pk