Opportunity for short-term PhD placements
Deadline for application submissions: 15 January 2015
Programme dates: March 2015 and March 2016
The British Council and the Indian Department of Science and Technology are pleased to invite applications for funding to support short-term PhD placements between UK and Indian institutions.
The programme aims to:
- Develop individual capacity through international training and development opportunities.
- Increase the number of highly trained researchers in the UK and India with international experience, able to contribute to the absorptive capacity for research and innovation and thus bring about economic and social benefits.
- Build cultural understanding, and foster long-term sustainable research collaborations.
- Develop international joint training pathways.
- Increase awareness of the research strengths of the UK and India.
The programme has been organised on behalf of the UK Department of Business, Innovation and Skills and the Indian Ministry of Science and Technology.
The Newton-Bhabha PhD placements programme will sponsor UK and Indian PhD students to spend a period of their study (3 to 6 months) in Indian and UK higher education institutions between March 2015 and March 2016.
In India the programme is open to existing INSPIRE PhD scholars (see call guidelines for eligibility criteria). In the UK the programme is open to all PhD students.
The application should be submitted by PhD students with endorsements from both their sending and receiving supervisors.
How to apply
Full information on the programme, guidelines on the application process and the application form is available on the British Council India website.
For more information please email Leena Arora, Head of Newton Programme, on Leena.Arora@in.britishcouncil.org