Inward Mission for Japanese Universities: November 2015
Invitation to tender
Application deadline: Monday 1 June 2015
Notification of application outcome: end of June 2015
Proposed dates of visit: between Monday 9 and Thursday 12 November 2015
We would like to send a delegation of 15 to 20 international office staff from Japanese universities to visit UK universities in November 2015. The Japanese participants will be accompanied by staff from the British Council.
Purpose of the mission
One of the key aims of the mission is to provide Japanese universities with the opportunity to develop a greater understanding of the UK higher education system and its internationalisation strategies. We hope to demonstrate the diversity of the UK higher education sector by visiting different types of universities.
With government support through initiatives to enhance the international profile of the Japanese university sector, the demand for new partnerships with UK institutions in terms of student and academic exchanges has never been higher among Japanese universities. Through this programme we ultimately aim to facilitate networking which will lead to the development of new partnerships between universities in Japan and the UK.
We would like host UK institutions to provide an overview of the topics below either in a briefing session or through visits to relevant facilities with international staff from the host institution.
Required topics and activities
- Development and implementation of international strategy
- Establishing agreements with overseas partners: overseas campuses, student exchange, credit transfer, double degrees/joint degrees
- University branding, reputation management and PR
- Initiatives to increase outbound mobility
- Campus tour
- Networking opportunities with staff interested in partnership building
- Running an international office: structure, day-to-day management, staff development
- Summer programmes
- Support for international students: accommodation, learning support, counselling
- Alumni networks
We plan to hold the mission between 9 and 12 November 2015. We hope to visit four institutions. At each institution, we would like to participate in a full day visit programme, starting at around 10:00 and finishing at around 16:00 (subject to discussion).
We would like each host institution to provide lunch for the delegation during the visit.
Institutions which can offer on-campus accommodation with internet access will be preferred. The maximum cost per night is shown below. The cost will be covered by the delegates.
*Prices include breakfast and tax.
We will select host institutions taking the following aspects into consideration:
- Commitment to develop links with Japanese universities
- Topics to be covered
- Geographical location in relation to other host institutions
- Overall balance of the types of universities
- Institutions which have never hosted or not hosted the Japanese delegation for the same programme within the last three years will be given preference. However, institutions which have hosted the delegation within the last three years will not be excluded from consideration.
Japanese university participants
We will invite participating Japanese institutions on the basis of:
- Commitment to developing links with UK institutions including student and academic exchanges as well as research collaboration
- Commitment to the Japanese government’s agenda of internationalising universities
- Participation in ‘Experience Japan Exhibition 2015’, which is scheduled to be held in London on 14 November to promote study and work opportunities in Japan.