Generation UK: University Partnerships - China
For the academic year 2019-2020
Generation UK has established partnerships with a wide range of UK universities to develop bespoke outward mobility programmes that support UK students to engage with and understand China.
Generation UK is committed to widening participation by providing funded opportunities to those who would not normally have access or the financial means to undertake an internship or study programme in China. Our programmes allow students to gain international work experience related to their field of study or future career aspirations to boost their cross-cultural understanding and employment prospects.
How it works:
Generation UK works with internship providers who deliver our placements and services on the ground. University programmes can be tailored to various durations and across multiple locations depending on group sizes and placement requirements.
We currently work with two providers to deliver internship programmes across six cities in China, providing placements in a variety of different sectors to cater towards institutions’ and students’ preferences. The following services are offered through partnership programmes:
• Pre-departure services
• 4-8 week internship placement
• Serviced accommodation
• On-the-ground support and guidance
• Post-programme services
• Additional services: welcome receptions; British Council/British Embassy events; university specific networking events
What current Generation UK university partners say:
About Generation UK:
The Generation UK campaign was launched by the British Council in 2013. It directly advances the UK government commitment to a Global Britain and is supported by all four UK administrations.
The campaign aims to ensure that the UK has a generation of young people that will be able to drive forward the relationship with China. It represents a strategic investment in the UK’s competitiveness as well as in the employability and language ability of the participants.
There are three core areas of priority:
• To raise awareness among a young generation in the UK of the opportunities to build their understanding of China through study and internships
• To promote favourable conditions for these young people to intern or study in China by working with the Chinese government and partners to support their internationalisation
• To provide specific funded opportunities for UK young people to study and intern in China through Generation UK branded programmes
More than 55,000 young people from the UK have participated in study, internship and teaching programmes across China since 2013, with a cumulative target (set by the Prime Minister in 2013) of 80,000 over the period to 2020. In 2018, approximately 15,000 young British nationals gained experience in China.
Higher education institutions in the UK
How to apply:
For more information please visit our website. If you are interested in partnering with the Generation UK campaign and would like more information please contact Hannah Silverleaf (Outward Mobility Manager, British Council China) at email@example.com