Deadline for UK HEIs to submit expressions of interest: Thursday 10 January 2019.
Deadline for UK HEIs to nominate candidates: Friday 18 January 2019.
Deadline for nominated candidates to submit applications: Thursday 31 January 2019.
|Eligibility||UK higher education institutions|
We are launching the second edition of the British Council 70th Anniversary Scholarship programme for Indian Women to pursue a master’s programme in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) in the United Kingdom. UK higher education institutions are invited to submit up to five nominations.
The scholarship programme, valued at £1 million, will fund full tuition for 70 Indian women to study a master’s programme at a UK HEI in STEM subjects for the academic year 2019–20, enabling young women to access some of the world’s best universities and colleges in the UK.
The British Council’s investment in women scholars supports Indian Prime Minister Modi’s shift to women-led development and also supports its objectives as below:
- Sustainable Development Goal to achieve gender equality and empower women and girls
- women who are likely to become leaders in their fields over the next 20 years.
- The scholarships are open to women across India.
- The scholarships will cover full tuition only for master’s in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), programmes in a UK HEI starting September/ October 2019
- The duration for the master’s programme should be one year of study.
- Living and other related expenses will be borne by the candidate or their sponsor.
Scholarship model: How can UK HEIs participate?
- The participating UK HEIs will agree to offer 20 percent discount on the published tuition fee to the final scholar awardees.
- The British Council will contribute the remaining 80 percent of the published tuition declared at the time of nomination for each scholar awardee.
- The UK HEIs will nominate admitted students and work with them to submit individual applications for the scholarship as per the prescribed format.
- Each application will be reviewed by a panel put together by the British Council based on pre-defined criteria. The final selection and decision of the scholarship award will rest with the British Council’s selection panel.
Process and timeline
You can nominate up to five women who have an excellent academic track record and have secured admission for a master's programme in STEM subjects at your institution through the nomination form.
|Friday 18 January 2019||Deadline to nominate up to five candidates who meet the mentioned eligibility criteria and have secured admission for a master's programme in STEM courses at your institution.|
|Thursday 31 January 2019||On completing scholar nominations, UKHEIs will receive an email with application details to be sent to the candidates. Each nominated candidate will need to submit a complete scholarship application before the 31 January deadline.|
|Wednesday 20 February 2019:||A British Council selection panel will select the final scholar awardees.|
|Friday 1 March 2019||Contracts with the UK institutions to be signed.|
|Thursday 7 March 2019||Participating UKHEIs to submit invoices and bank details|
|Friday 15 March 2019||The scholarship funds will be remitted to the UK institution’s bank accounts.|
Submission of expressions of interest
Contact the British Council Scholarship team with your queries: email@example.com
UK HEIs can learn more about the scholarship by submitting their expression of interest by Thursday 10 January 2019. Please follow the link below: