Are you passionate about French, German or Spanish? Through the Languages Teacher Training Scholarships (LTTS) programme, you could receive £34,000: a tax-free scholarship of £28,000 while you train as a secondary school language teacher in England, plus an additional £6,000 once in teaching*.
The Languages Teacher Training Scholarships are aimed at high-calibre graduates who will commence an eligible teacher training course in England in the 2020/21 academic year. Courses should be completed through an approved provider and lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) status*. Applicants should also hold UK or EU student status and meet student finance support criteria*. Other criteria apply.
* Full eligibility requirements are outlined at the bottom of this webpage – please check that you meet all criteria before applying.
Why should I apply?
Launched by the Department for Education (DfE), this prestigious programme offers a range of benefits to successful applicants including:
- A tax-free scholarship of £28,000* while you train to teach French, German or Spanish at secondary level in England
- A further £6,000 after tax* once in teaching (paid over three years)
- Access to a range of professional development opportunities and resources, including webinars for distance-based training for your Initial Teacher Training (ITT) and membership to the Association for Language Learning (ALL) for your training year
- Networking opportunities with your fellow scholars and teaching professionals, including attendance at conferences and events with cultural institutions in the UK
A Languages Teacher Training Scholarship provides a great boost to your CV and when applying for Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) roles upon training completion.
* Subject to eligibility
Why should I be a language teacher?
Good language teachers are in demand. As a language teacher, you can use your languages and share your cultural insights every day. You will play a part in equipping the next generation with the skills employers need. Take a step towards inspiring a new generation of young people to love languages as much as you do.
To find out more about teaching, you can register to attend a Train to Teach event via the Get Into Teaching website.
What our scholars say
'I am having a great training year thanks to the LTTS programme. Through webinars and seminars I learn more about ways to teach languages and creative approaches to teaching by listening to guest speakers and British Council partners. My placement school also benefits from the inspirational ideas and resources. It feels like a big family and it is great to network with other scholars. One of my highlights this year was taking part in the Goethe Institute German Day.'
Katharina Jakobi, LTTS scholar 2019/20
‘I loved all the opportunities offered by the British Council. Not only did they offer a very generous scholarship but also some extra opportunities for development and networking. From the interview day, staff were really kind and approachable and made us feel at ease and reassured us that we were amongst the top candidates in the country. It is an amazing programme and I felt very honoured to be part of it.’
Linda Hill, LTTS scholar 2018/19
Please ensure you meet all eligibility criteria before applying.