Applications to the Languages Teacher Training Scholarships 2020-21 should be made through an online application system, which will be available via the LTTS webpage on 13 January 2020.
As part of the online application, you will need to complete two questions to form your personal statement:
1. Please outline your motivations for pursuing a modern foreign languages initial teacher training course. (400 words)
In your response you should include, but not be limited to, the following areas:
- Your personal experiences of language learning in education/personal study
- The influences of any teachers or significant individuals upon your learning experience
- Why you are passionate about language learning in general
- How you intend to make a lasting impact on secondary pupils.
2. Please explain how your skills, knowledge and experience would contribute to you being a successful languages teacher. (600 words)
Your response should:
- Mention any relevant skills that you believe will help you to succeed in the role;
- Give examples of any experience you have of working with young people;
- Explain your approach to learning and how you inspire others;
- Demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the current language learning context in England;
- Refer to your intercultural experience, such as time spent living/working/studying abroad;
- Highlight any other skills, knowledge or experience that you think is relevant to the role (using examples from professional, educational, or recreational scenarios)
To support their response, the strongest applicants will use real and personal examples of their experiences. To structure each example, you may choose to use the STAR approach:
Situation: Briefly set the scene for the example
Task: Describe what was required
Action: What did you do, and why?
Result: What was the outcome?
Applicants for the 2020/21 programme are advised to prepare answers to these questions and to save a copy on file. When you are ready to apply, you can copy and paste your answers to the relevant fields on the online application system.
Please note that these questions have been supplied as a guide to applicants for the 2020/21 programme. Prospective applicants for future years should note that these questions may be subject to change annually.