The British Council has facilitated the visit of a delegation from the Supreme Council of Universities (SCU), the body responsible for the planning, coordination and supervision of universities in Egypt.
In addition to receiving key briefings from the British Council’s Higher Education Adviser for Middle East and North Africa, Dr John Law, the delegation will visit a number of organisations who play a key role in higher education systems in the UK, including:
- Higher Education Funding Council
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Higher Education Academy
- Higher Education Policy Institute
- Universities UK International Unit
The delegation will also have the opportunity to visit a number of universities including the University of the West of England, University of York and London Metropolitan University.
The visit will coincide with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding concerning the Newton-Mosharafa Fund by Greg Clark, Minister for Universities and Science, and Dr Sherif Hammad, Egyptian Minister of Scientific Research.
Worth £20 million over five years, the Newton-Mosharafa Fund will bring together the British and Egyptian scientific research and innovation sectors to find joint solutions to the challenges facing Egypt in economic development and social welfare.
• To gather information about the governance of higher education in the UK.
• To make contacts with people in key higher education organisations and institutions in the UK with whom the SCU would be able to engage and/or partner with subsequently.
• To raise the profile of Egyptian higher education in the UK, and UK higher education in Egypt.
This is a closed event but for further information please contact Monique Caesar at: Monique.Caesar@britishcouncil.org