The British Council are leading on the education sub-group of the Kuwait-UK Joint Steering Group (JSG). The JSG is aimed at broadening and deepening a closer working relationship between the UK and Kuwait and was set up in 2013 during the State Visit of the Kuwaiti Amir, His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah.
Through these government-level meetings, the potential for joint collaboration between the UK and Kuwait on research and scientific development has been discussed. This meeting will agree an implementation strategy for joint research and development under the recently signed Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Higher Education, Kuwait and the UK.
A number of key players will be involved in these discussions including the Gulf Counsellor from the UK’s Science and Innovation Network, BIS and a number of heads of research from public sector organisations such as the Kuwait Institute of Scientific Research, Kuwait University research department, and Kuwait Foundation for Advancement of Sciences.
This meeting aims to help create strategic relationships to harness the value of science and innovation discoveries and investments overseas, leading to mutual benefits to both countries. The meeting will:
- identify priority areas for joint Kuwait/UK research collaboration
- identify strategy partners, participating Kuwait/UK research institutions, and potential commercial partners
- agree a joint research networking programme structure
- identify government and commercial funding for an annual joint research networking programme
- identify sources of funding for ongoing research activities that develop from the networking programme
- agree a timetable and mechanisms for the first joint networking call
- promote the Kuwait/UK research networking programme and joint research opportunities.
For more information please contact Imran Yousaf on:
Tel: +965 22515512