This opportunity has now closed - the information below is for reference only
The British Council invites proposals for the establishment of Research Environment Links (REL) between universities and research and innovation institutes in partner countries and the UK.
About Research Environment Links
Research Environment Links grants provide financial support for capacity-strengthening and collaboration activities to develop and sustain medium to long term relationships proposed by applicant institutions in partner countries and the UK.
All collaborations funded will establish new research environment links - or significantly develop existing links - between research groups, departments, or institutions with the potential for longer-term sustainability.
The key aim of each collaboration will be to support capacity strengthening in the partner institution in either Egypt, Malaysia, Morocco, Thailand or Turkey as well as to stimulate longer-term interactions between the partner country and the UK.
Part of Going Global Partnerships, the British Council Research Environment Links (REL) programme aims to:
- Support dialogue and knowledge exchange on academic standards, research governance and strategic research policy development.
- Help promote an academic and research environment between partner countries and the UK, conducive to achieving maximum impact from high-quality research.
- Build opportunities for the universities and institutions in the UK and partner countries to engage with the wider community and with policymakers.
- Enable researchers to be more responsive to development needs in their countries and enable up-to-date research evidence to support policy decisions.
- Support skills development to communicate and translate research into benefits for social welfare and economic growth.
- Amplify researchers’ ability to conduct excellent research in areas most relevant to national priorities and fully realise its impact.
About Going Global Partnerships
Going Global Partnerships connects universities, colleges, education policy makers and other partners in the UK and around the world. The programme offers you vital international opportunities - the chance to build relationships, to share ideas and good practice, to access grant funding for collaborative partnerships and more. Find out more and apply now for our funding calls and opportunities.
About this funding call
Proposals are designed by the Lead Applicant in the partner country with the support of a UK partner organisation.
Research Environment Links can be funded in any discipline or cross-discipline, and there are no limits in terms of the type of activities that can be delivered as long as they respond to country needs. Please see the guidelines for applicants document in the downloads section for further details.
- Size of grant: Up to £50,000
- Duration of the grant: Up to 12 months
- ODA requirement: All applications must meet the required relevance to economic development or social welfare (see guidelines for further information)
Each proposal must have one Lead Applicant from the partner country and one Lead Applicant from the UK submitting one joint application.
All Principal Applicants must be Leading Researchers or Established Researchers as defined by the European Commission - please refer to this European Framework for Research Careers document on the Euraxess website.
Other eligibility criteria apply. Please refer to the guidelines document available from the downloads section below for full eligibility criteria.
All queries or comments about this call should be addressed to the Research Environment Links email address: