The names of the ten researchers and young professionals selected to compete for the title of world’s best science communicator in the FameLab International 2021 Online Final have been announced.
The ten international finalists are:
- Bozhidar Stefanov – assistant professor in chemistry at TU Sofia, Bulgaria
- Alex Cloherty – PhD researcher in autophagy at Amsterdam UMC, Netherlands
- Hugo Cui – PhD researcher in statistical physics of machine learning at EPFL, Switzerland
- Jerzy Łątka – researcher at the Faculty of Architecture Wroclaw University of Science and Technology, Poland
- Letago Kgomoeswana – master’s student in climatology at North-West University, South Africa
- Samantha Nixon – postdoctoral researcher in biomedical science at The University of Queensland, Australia
- Eman Amer – dentist at the Ministry of Health, Egypt
- Jesús Victorino Santos – genetics researcher at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid / CNIC, Spain
- Danny Daniels – chief operating officer of Lombris, Mexico
- Sirawit Ittisoponpisan – lecturer in bioinformatics at Prince of Songkla University, Thailand
Thousands of viewers tuned in from all over the world to watch 23 contestants battle it out in FameLab International semi-final heats one and two and voted for their favourite talks.
The semi-final judges’ selection, together with the audience vote winners Letago Kgomoeswana and Sirawit Ittisoponpisan, will now progress through to the International Final which will be live-streamed on the FameLab YouTube channel on 25 November at 16.00 GMT.
The pressure is on as the ten finalists must now prepare a fresh new talk to wow the judges: sustainability specialist Tara Shine, maths broadcaster Rogério Ferreira Martins and journalist Julia Wheeler.
UK science communicator Greg Foot will return to our screens to present the upcoming International Final. Speaking on his role, Greg said:
‘It’s always a fun night hosting FameLab. It’s interesting and inspiring too as the short talks the finalists give are brilliant - entertaining, intriguing, and sometimes mind-blowing!’
‘Join us for the International Final - you will again get to vote for your audience favourite. And our judges will crown the FameLab 2021 International Champion!’
2021 marks the 15th and final year of the FameLab International competition created by Cheltenham Festivals and delivered globally in partnership with the British Council, involving over 40,000 participants and more than 200 partner organisations giving support to FameLab in over 40 countries.
Watch the FameLab International 2021 Online Final live on the FameLab YouTube channel on 25 November at 16.00 GMT.
Join in the conversation on Facebook and Twitter #FameLabInternational2021