The British Council - Botswana, in partnership with Thapong Visual Arts Centre, is launching an open call for emerging local artists to create engaging cross-disciplinary contemporary art projects. This is an inaugural and historic creative arts project which offers young emerging artists the opportunity to produce new and innovative work that will reach new audiences.
Three artists will be selected to showcase new artworks for an exhibition at the end of June.
Deadline extended: 8 May 2019
We are offering artists the opportunity to submit project proposals that demonstrate:
- Creation of new artworks that breaks barriers and is a fresh presentation of new approaches to creative art-making in Botswana.
- Utilising local narratives or contexts and re-telling them through new perspectives.
- Encourages public participation and engaging social dialogue on a multiplicity of emerging issues.
- To reach new audiences from 18-35.
- Versatile artwork that can be showcased in the gallery and in the open public space.
As part of the exhibition, each artist will be given mentoring in lead up to the exhibition by curator Melissa Hinkin (UK). Artists will be expected to develop presentations on their work, be available for workshops and to complete reports at the end of the project.
Project eligibility and selection
This opportunity is open to young emerging artists from Botswana aged between 18-35 years. Applicants should send a 200-word description of their proposed project, a one page CV and up to eight images of their artwork or links to websites or videos.
Applications will be selected by a panel of arts industry professionals from Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa and the UK.
Each artist will be given an award of BWP 30 000.00 per towards the development and production of new artwork for the exhibition.
Applications should be submitted no later than the end of day 8 May 2019 CAT to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that late submissions will not be accepted. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified via email.