Current and upcoming international opportunities for artists, creatives, professionals and organisations.
We would like to work with a creative agency as part of the Our Shared Cultural Heritage project, to develop and run a youth-led digital project design process, ensuring the approach engages with our target audience of 11-21 year olds (and particularly those of South Asian descent) with cultural heritage.
- Grant: approx £10,000
- Deadline: 27 November 2017
- Open to: digital, youth and creative agencies
The International Festivals Academy, in partnership with Festivals Edinburgh, returns to the Scottish capital this spring 2018. If you are a mid-career festival manager looking to develop your skills come and join us in April 2018 for a week in Edinburgh, the world's leading festival city.
- Opportunity: an intensive, short course on festival management where participants will meet and learn from a variety of Edinburgh's festival directors and practitioners and build a global network of peers
- Deadline: 18 December 2017
- Open to: festival managers based anywhere in the world
Enter our short story competition on the theme of diversity and have your story published on a new platform connecting the UK and Turkey
- Opportunity: £300 or £1,500 TL, your story published online accompanied by a specially commissioned illustration
- Deadline: 31 December 2017
- Open to: writers from the UK or Turkey
The British Council is inviting UK-based curators to apply to curate the British Pavilion at the 58th International Art Exhibition, La Biennale di Venezia, in 2019.
This is the first time that the British Council has created a curatorial opportunity attached to the British Pavilion exhibition as part of the Venice Art Biennale. The successful applicant will gain access to the British Council's global audiences and extensive international networks, and a valuable opportunity to launch or enhance their international career. Working closely with the artist representing Britain, as well as the British Council team, they will deliver an exceptional exhibition and associated programme of talks and events at the world's most prestigious contemporary art event.
- Fee: £10,000
- Deadline: 3 December 2017
- Open to: Curators living and working in the UK, currently employed by a non-profit UK-based arts organisation
Cooperation Projects supports collaborative, cross-border projects for up to four years, involving organisanisations from three or more countries participating in Creative Europe. These grants are shared between partners and the partnership decides how much is allocated to each organisation. Match funding is required and the partners decide how much each organisation agrees to contribute.
- Grant: Small Cooperation Projects: up to €200,000 can be applied for. Large Cooperation Projects: up to €2 million can be applied for
- Deadline: 18 January 2018
- Open to: UK based creative, cultural and heritage organisations working across any art form, such as visual arts, dance, theatre, literature, performance, music, heritage, architecture, design, circus, festivals, craft and fashion. This includes higher education institutions, local authorities, social enterprises, charities and companies operating in the cultural and creative sectors.
Writers around the world are invited to submit scripts for the International Playwriting Competition 2018. The global competition is hosted by BBC World Service and British Council in partnership with The Open University. New and established writers who do not live in the UK are welcome to apply. Applicants should submit a radio script of 53 minutes long on any subject.
- Prize: the two winners will win a trip to London and have their play broadcast on BBC World Service. A third winner will travel to London to be mentored by the BBC.
- Deadline: 31 January 2018
- Open to: entry is only open to anyone who is over the age of 18 as at 31 January 2018 who is not normally a resident of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man (“UK”)
China Now is a digital hub offering insights, exclusive content and opportunities for UK based creatives and organisations interested in working in China.
- Opportunity: insights, content and opportunities
- Deadline: N/A
- Open to: UK creatives and organisations
Connections through Culture is a long-term programme to develop exciting cultural collaborations between artists and arts organisations, supporting long-lasting relationships between China and the UK.
- Grant: £2,500
- Deadline: rolling
- Open to: artists and arts organisations in the UK and China
In partnership with the Department for Culture Media and Sport, the British Council have launched the Cultural Protection Fund. Our objective for the new £30 million fund is to help to create opportunities for economic and social development through building capacity to foster, safeguard and promote cultural heritage in conflict-affected regions overseas.
- Grant: £500 - £100,000+
- Deadline: small grants will be decided on upon a quarterly basis
- Open to: the Fund is designed with applications from UK organisations in mind, but any organisation is eligible to apply
In partnership with the BFI, British Council Film operates a Travel Grant Fund that supports filmmakers to travel to key international festivals with short films. There is a list of 60+ eligible festivals at the weblink.
- Grant: £100 - £1000
- Deadline: rolling
- Open to: UK-based filmmakers with short films accepted into one of our listed key festivals
Creative Europe is the European Union's programme to support the cultural, creative and audiovisual sectors. From 2014-2020, €1.46 billion is available to support European projects with the potential to travel, reach new audiences and encourage skill sharing and development. Creative Europe brings together a Culture sub-programme, which provides funding for the cultural and creative sectors, and a MEDIA sub-programme, which invests in film, television, new media and games.
- Grant: various
- Deadline: rolling
- Open to: the creative, cultural and audiovisual sectors in Europe
In partnership with the Arts Council England, We are investing in talented individuals to develop skills, expand horizons and introduce an international perspective to their work.
- Grant: between £1000 and £5000
- Opening: rolling
- Open to: individual artists and/or creative practitioners from the UK