Join us and Women of the World for WOW Global 24, a free online festival focused on women and girls, racial injustice and the impact of Covid-19 on gender equality.
On Saturday 27 June and Sunday 28 June, international speakers and artists are set to debate and discuss the most pressing global challenges of our times around six themes: Education, Justice, Climate, Health, the Economy and Violence. Just some of the speakers include:
- Legendary activist Angela Davis, talking about the Black Lives Matter movement;
- UN Women discussing gender equality in the times of COVID-19;
- Activist and author of Amazons, Abolitionists and Activists and Hood Feminism, Mikki Kendall;
- LGBT and women's rights activist Jayanthi Kuru-Utumpala;
- Senator Sherry Rehman, Parliamentary Leader of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) in Senate;
- Secretary of the UN Framework Convention, Christiana Figueres, talking about climate change;
- Sudanese writer, women's rights activist and socialist leader Fatima Ibrahim;
- Actress and activist Gillian Anderson, and many more.
Watch WOW South Asia and WOW Turkey on The Local Channel
The South Asia programme runs for three hours on Saturday 27 June and has been curated by WOW teams in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. Download the South Asia programme for the full lineup, which includes:
- A panel discussion on Environment and the Feminist Response (cross-South Asia);
- Project Women-Way, a creative session with four artists who will create an artwork while discussing how they challenge body stereotypes through their work (cross-South Asia);
- A WOW Bite with transgender activist and entrepreneur Joyita Poly who will talk about helping the transgender community fight for their rights in Bangladesh;
- A WOW Bite with Sarah Marandy, indigenous rights activist in Bangladesh, about the situation facing indigenous women and children during Covid-19;
- A performance and tribute to all women who have been part of WOW by Sareena Rai, Chandresha Pandey and DJ Ranzen.
Later, tune in to WOW Turkey for music, theatre, conversations, film screenings and more, with English subtitles available to all audiences.
Shop from independent brands at WOW Marketplace
Every WOW Festival around the globe has a WOW Marketplace for women-led businesses. For WOW Global 24 the Marketplace will go online for the first time curated by Janet’s List - a platform that markets independent brands by Black women and women of colour from the UK.
How to watch
Tune in on the WOW Foundation website from 10.30am BST on Saturday 27 June to 10.30 am BST on 28 June. The Global Channel and The Local Channel will be streaming live and simultaneously over 24 hours at the WOW Foundation website. The programme is designed so that when viewers are watching during daylight hours, events will be generated from the audience’s own part of the world.
WOW South Asia runs for three hours at the following times on The Local Channel:
12:00 – 15:00 UK (BST) | 16:00 – 19:00 (PK) | 16:30 – 19:30 (IND/LKA)
16:45 – 19:45 (NPL) | 17:00 – 20:00 (BGL)
WOW Turkey runs for two hours at the following times on The Local Channel:
16:00 – 18:00 UK (BST) | 18:00 – 20:00 (TRT)
The Global Channel will be BSL interpreted by Performance Interpreting, with live captioning by My Clear Text and Stagetext. The Local Channel will be captioned in English.