The Society Advisory Group advises the Society leadership team and influences the British Council’s vision and strategy.
The Society Advisory Group reports to the Executive Board. Its formation or disbandment is the responsibility of the Chief Executive. It is a forum for advice and has no decision making or executive powers.
The role of the Society Advisory Group, as set out in its terms of reference (PDF, 210KB) is to:
- support the British Council in its mission to ‘create a friendly knowledge and understanding’ between the people of the UK and wider world
- act as an advocate for the British Council’s work
- advise on the development of the British Council’s strategy
- ensure that the Society leadership team is kept informed of major developments in the sector
- serve as a channel of professional advice within the areas of expertise represented on the Group
- offer insights and identify new opportunities and trends
- create links between the British Council and the communities within the sector for whom our work has particular relevance.