Welcome to the British Council, the United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.
The British Council is incorporated in England and Wales by Royal Charter and registered as a charity (under number 209131 in England and Wales and number SC037733 in Scotland). Its registered office is at 10 Spring Gardens, London, SW1A 2BN.
Code of conduct
In accessing any part of this Site, you agree:
- to behave in a respectful way to all other users of this Site and not to use this Site in such a way that disrupts, interferes with or restricts the use of this Site by other users;
- not to upload, display or transmit any materials through this Site which are false, offensive, defamatory, threatening, obscene, unlawful or which infringe the rights of any other person anywhere in the world;
- not to reverse engineer, decompile, copy or adapt any software or other code or scripts forming part of this Site or attempt to transmit to or via this Site any information that contains a virus, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful or disruptive component; and
- not to change, modify, delete, interfere with or misuse data contained on this Site and entered by or relating to any third party user of this Site.
If required to use a password to access any part of this Site, you agree:
- to ensure that any details supplied to the British Council in order to register for such access are accurate and to advise us promptly in the event that any such details change;
- not to register as or on behalf of anyone else, impersonate anyone else, seek to take on a false identity or misrepresent yourself, your identity or your age;
- to be entirely responsible for any activity that occurs under your profile name;
- to keep secret any password used by you; you must change your password if you believe it is no longer secret; and
Links to and from this Site
This Site may contain content which does not derive from the British Council. Any views expressed in such content by individuals who are employed by, or contracted to, the British Council may not represent the views of the British Council and the British Council shall not be responsible or liable for any such content or for the consequences of the use of it.
As a general rule, British Council will not object should you have a text link from your website to this Site. However, you may not incorporate any part of this Site into different websites or products. Further, you may not link to this Site if you create or post any illegal, obscene or offensive content, or if the link in any way has a negative impact on our reputation. The British Council reserves the right to restrict the posting of links to this Site at its sole discretion.
The British Council is the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in this Site, and in the material published on it including without limitation all text, graphics, user interfaces, visual interfaces, photographs, trade marks, logos, video media, artwork, design, structure, "look and feel" and the arrangement thereof. The content and materials are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world.
You may view, print off, and download extracts, of any page(s) from this Site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others to material posted on this Site.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text. No trade mark, copyright or other proprietary notices contained in or appearing on such material are to be removed in whole or in part.
Material contained in this Site may not otherwise be copied, reproduced or redistributed in whole or in part without the prior written consent of the British Council. In particular it must not be reproduced or exploited for commercial gain. All other rights are reserved and users must ask permission from the British Council before making any other use of material contained in this Site. This permission to reproduce material does not extend to material identified as belonging to third parties, where users must obtain the permission of the relevant owners before reproducing such material.
The British Council is the data controller of any personal data collected through this Site for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998.
This Site has been prepared with the aim of providing key information about the British Council and the work we do and does not constitute advice in relation to any particular situation.
Owing to the nature of the Internet, the British Council cannot guarantee that this Site or the websites to which it is linked will be available to you. You should ensure that you have appropriate protection against viruses and other security arrangements in place whilst using the Internet.
Although every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the information on this Site was accurate at the time of publication, it is subject to variation at any time without notice and the material displayed on this Site is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy.
This Site and any information or other material contained in it are made available strictly on the basis that you accept it on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis. Where you rely on any information or other material contained in this Site, you do so entirely at your own risk and you accept that all warranties, conditions and undertakings, express or implied, whether by common law, statute, trade usage, course of dealings or otherwise in respect of this Site are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
The British Council, its subsidiaries and holding companies, the subsidiaries of their holding companies and each of their respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees, representatives and agents exclude all liability arising from your use of this Site to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Law and Jurisdiction
The English courts will have non-exclusive jurisdiction over any claim arising from, or related to, a visit to this Site although we retain the right to bring proceedings against you for breach of these conditions in your country of residence or any other relevant country.