The British Council is the United Kingdom's international organisation, connecting people worldwide with learning opportunities and creative ideas from the UK, and building lasting relationships between the UK and other countries.
We are a landmark on the Sri Lankan scene where it reflects deep and long-standing ties between the two countries.
We work closely with our partners in Sri Lanka and our colleagues within the region to offer a unique network of resources.
We have centres in Colombo and Kandy which offer access to the full range of the British Council's education, culture and development services.
The areas we concentrate on are:
- promoting the English language as a tool for international communication, and a key to educational opportunities
- providing links to the global information society and UK networking opportunities for Sri Lankan professionals
- supporting the exchange of ideas and experience between Britain's education system and Sri Lanka
- demonstrating the energy and creativity of British culture and providing opportunities for exchange and cooperation between British and Sri Lankan artists
- contributing to development in fundamental areas such as governance and human rights