1: Courses and Qualifications
- What courses are there in the United Kingdom?
- What is a Bachelor’s Degree?
- What is a Foundation Degree?
- What is a Higher National Diploma – HND?
- What is a Higher National Certificate – HNC?
- What is a Diploma of Higher Education - DipHE?
- What is a Foundation course, Foundation year, Access or Bridging course?
- What is a sandwich course?
- Can I obtain a British qualification via Distance Learning?
2: How to choose a course and an institution
- What are the teaching and learning methods like in the United Kingdom?
- What areas can I study in the United Kingdom? And at what institutions?
- Where are the institutions located?
- What factors should I consider when making a choice?
- Are the courses and institutions that I have chosen of a high standard?
3: Understanding British qualifications and classifications, and comparing them with Portuguese ones
- What are GCSEs and ’A’ levels? How do they compare with my qualifications from Portuguese secondary school?
- How do British classifications compare with Portuguese classifications?
- What is equivalent to British qualifications in Portugal?
- Does the British Council translate academic certificates?
- When should I send the authenticated translations of the academic certificates to the institutions?
4: General entry and English language requirements
- I have finished the 12th year. Do I have enough qualifications and are they the right ones to apply for the course that I want to study?
- I am in the 12th year. Are my qualifications enough and are they the right ones to apply for the area I want to study?
- I haven’t completed upper-secondary school. Can I apply for the course I wish to study with the qualifications I have?
- I am currently studying in higher education in Portugal. Can I apply for the course I wish to study with the qualifications I have?
- I have completed a higher education course in Portugal. Can I apply for the course I wish to study with the qualifications I have?
- Will I have to do an English exam?
5: Additional entry requirements for specific areas
- What are the additional entry requirements for higher education courses in Art and Design?
- What are the additional entry requirements that some universities demand for courses in Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Science?
- What are the additional entry requirements that some universities demand for courses in Law, Modern History, Modern and Medieval Languages, Maths, Computer Science, Natural Science, Engineering and Economics?
6: Selection Criteria for applicants
- Apart from my grades, what other factors are important for British institutions?
- The text that you will have to include in your application – Personal statement
- The letter of recommendation that you will have to include in your application - Reference
7: How and when to apply
- What is the application process?
- Do I fill in the form for each course or just one for all the courses? What about Oxford and Cambridge?
- How do I fill in the form?
- How do I apply for a part-time course?
- How do I apply for a full-time ‘Foundation year/course’ in areas excluding Art and Design?
- How do I apply for a Foundation course in Art and Design?
- Are the deadlines the same for all courses? What about Oxford and Cambridge?
- What is the deadline for courses in the area of Art and Design?
- What is the deadline for courses in the areas of Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Science?
- Can I apply after the stipulated deadlines?
- How do I apply after 01 July for a course starting in the same calendar year? What is 'Clearing'?
- When can I apply for part-time courses?
- When can I apply for a full-time foundation year/course (excluding Art and Design)?
8: Fees, accommodation and other expenses
- How much is the annual fee for EU students that attend full-time, sandwich and part-time courses?
- How much is the annual fee for international students (non-EU)?
- Are there grants for EU students?
- As an EU student, can I apply for funding for full-time and part-time course?
- Do I have to complete a form to request the student loan for EU students?
- Are there grants for international students (non-EU)?
- How much will it cost to live in the UK, per month?
- Some sites dealing with student budgets, including accommodation, in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales