|Clients||Plan Ceibal, Ministry of Education Uruguay|
|Lifecycle||2013 to 2015|
Ceibal en Inglés
We deliver Ceibal en Inglés, which forms part of the Uruguayan government's long-term strategy to improve English teaching in primary schools. The project focuses on the teaching of English in Uruguayan primary schools at grades 4-6. Our integrated and sustainable approach includes:
- A detailed syllabus and lesson plans
- Digital and non-digital materials
- Up to 4,800 remote classes per week, delivered to 1,000 schools throughout Uruguay
- An online English language improvement course for Uruguayan class teachers
- Face-to-face orientation courses for class teachers
- Online training and evaluation for remote teachers.
Delivering real impact
- 1,500 students from across the country now have access to high-quality English teaching regardless of background and location.
- In July 2013, 1,000 remote lessons were being given each week, 600 of which were delivered by remote teachers subcontracted by the British Council and 400 by teachers from Uruguay itself. Since the beginning of August, 170 lessons per week are being delivered by teachers in the Philippines.
- By March 2015, 4,800 remote classes will be delivered each week, reaching 90 per cent of the target group in Uruguayan primary schools.
- 91 per cent of children surveyed agreed or strongly agreed that remote lessons had made them more aware of the English language and 95 per cent agreed or strongly agreed that the lessons were fun.
'Today’s class was a pleasure for us. We were a little nervous, but in the end all of us were very pleased. We loved your teaching style and were surprised by the technology: to be able to communicate like this is really quite special for us.'
Mariela, a Uruguayan class teacher, emailing her Remote Teacher counterpart in The Philippines