Kids Read is an exciting reading programme, sponsored exclusively by HSBC Bank Middle East Ltd & Affiliates, aimed at government school primary students to encourage them to read for pleasure, inside and outside the classroom. Kids Read is now running for the second year in 11 countries: Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Qatar and United Arab Emirates. Kids Read is a well-rounded programme which includes reading, teacher training, competitions, community events and much more.
Reading is a transferable skill that opens up a world of opportunities for children. Good reading habits established early, improve later performance in a range of life skills as well as developing language and critical thinking skills. However, across the region teachers and parents find it difficult to motivate their children to read and the problem increases when dealing with a foreign language like English. As a result, Kids Read was developed by the British Council under our MENA English for the future project. English for the Future provides learners and teachers with access to high quality resources and materials from UK.
- 35,000 students across 11 countries
- 12 government primary schools (6 boys and 6 girls) per country nominated by Ministry of Education
- 132 schools; 300 teachers directly; 1000s of teachers indirectly
- 250 HSBC volunteers
- To encourage reading for pleasure both in and outside the classroom
- To develop the English language skills of the future generation
- To provide schools with access to contemporary authentic fiction books
- To support literacy initiatives in schools
- To highlight relevant issues e.g. the environment
- Storytelling and reading initiatives within the schools
- Training programmes for teachers and HSBC staff
- Workshops for parents and carers
- Community Events for the wider community