Why choose Latin America?
- It presents the chance to experience Spanish, one of the world’s most widely spoken languages, in a different, non-European context
- You can get out of your comfort zone and experience a completely different way of life to that in the UK
- You’ll get to experience first hand some of the world’s most dynamic and emerging economies and cultures
- It’s an incredibly diverse region, boasting rainforests, mountains and beaches
- You could work in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador or Mexico and experience the cultural diversity within this fascinating region.
Posts are mainly in universities, teacher training institutions and language schools with a few posts in secondary schools.
Terms and conditions vary in the different countries of Latin America. Teaching experience or an interest in teaching as a career are required for some posts. Assistants are usually responsible for whole classes in Latin America.
The competition for posts in Latin America is high and demand always exceeds supply. A waiting list is in operation over the spring and summer for those not placed initially.
The salary you will be paid is sufficient for one person to live on but posts in Latin America require a larger financial commitment than posts in Europe. Before you leave the UK you can expect to pay around £1,000-£1,200 for flights, visas and immunisations. You will also need access to around £1,000 (depending on the country you working in) once you arrive in Latin America for initial expenses, including a mobile phone and deposits for accommodation and rent.