The British Council is the world's leading provider of high-quality English language training. We offer the following IELTS preparation courses.
Try now the fantastic online preparation course "Road to IELTS" developed by the British Council and Clarity English, world leader in distance learning.
- TEST DRIVE is FREE for everyone and gives you all the IELTS basics
- LAST MINUTE adds 20 hours more and is FREE for all IELTS candidates
- FULL VERSION includes 120 hours and can be bought online
Accessible any time and from anywhere with an internet connection, the course covers all four parts of the test (listening, reading, speaking and writing), gives explanations of question types, provides tips on how to handle the tasks, and provides online scoring of exercises so that candidates can assess their level and progress. Start it now, it's free!
Road to IELTS is based on Adobe Flash. All iOS users can use it with a browser like Puffin free web browser available on iTunes.
At the British Council you can buy the official practice materials to help you prepare for the test:
- How to Prepare for IELTS is a British Council publication which contains practice material, exercises and advice on how to approach the 4 sections of the test for both Academic and General Training modules. It comes with a CD containing Listening and Speaking interview extracts. The price is €40.
- IELTS Official Practice Materials (1 or 2) gives the candidates the opportunity to check whether their English is at the level required. This consists of a booklet and a CD and includes a complete IELTS test for both the Academic and General Training modules (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) along with answer keys. The price is €30.
- Top Tips for IELTS either Academic or General Training. € 15
You can buy those books directly at the Customer Desk in our offices based in Milan, Rome or Naples - info/contacts.
Check out the British Council IELTS online resources for improving your general level of English and specific exercises for the IELTS test. We also give you links to other sources of preparation materials, hints and samples of the test.
- IELTS FREE PRACTICE ZONE
- Learn English Professionals The IELTS section of the British Council website contains practical advice about IELTS and practice materials for the exam. It will help you develop your English skills and prepare for the IELTS test and other English exams.
- English online A set of useful free resources both for learners and teachers provided by the British Council.
- IELTS hints We have listed a number of tips and hints you should know about the IELTS exam.
- Test samples: mock papers
- Other resources on TakeIELTS.org Tips from candidates, test day advice, understand the test format, onoine resources
LearnEnglish is a fantastic set of free tools for students of all levels.
Free download: (pdf, 1MB)
IELTS partners care a lot about test quality and reliability. Information about research on linguistics and language testing is available on the main IELTS website. An annual scholarship is also available for researches concerning the test.
A wide range of further preparation book and multimedia tools is available from bookshops, also online.
Private language schools also organise regularly perparation courses.
Please note that we cannot take any responsibility for information provided by external publishers and/or schools..