The following advice is for partners travelling to Iraq as part of the DelPHE Iraq project. It is important to note that you will be travelling under the duty of care of your university as your employer, and that you should make your own international travel arrangements and check requirements/regulations within your institution to ensure that appropriate insurances are in place prior to your trip.
Please inform us if you are planning to travel to the Kurdistan region at least four weeks prior to your trip. Please refer to your grant agreement letter with British Council.
You are advised to register your presence in Iraq on the FCO’s LOCATE service so FCO consular and crisis staff can provide better assistance to you in an emergency. We have included some useful contact numbers below for those travelling to the Kurdistan region in Iraq.
For specific advice on travel to Iraq and up to date information on the security situation, please go to the FCO website, which provides further information on travel and living abroad.
If you are planning to travel to Iraq, you may choose to attend either the Security in High Threat Posts or Hostile Environment Training courses provided by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Whether you participate in either of these training courses is a decision that should be made by individual project teams. For more information, please email SEDTraining@fco.gov.uk or call +44(0)207 008 1163 or 1155.
Please refer to your grant agreement with British Council and let us know if you do decide to attend either of these training courses.
British Embassy, Baghdad:
During Embassy working hour (964) (0) 7901 926 280
Embassy Office Hours: GMT Sun - Thur: 0600 - 1400 Local Time: Sun - Thur: 0900-1700
Duty Officer (for out-of-hours consular emergencies involving British citizens) +964 (0) 7901 935 149
British Consulate-General, Erbil
Tel +964 (0) 750 4047342 (for consular emergencies involving British nationals only)
Tel +964 (0) 750 7784586 (for consular emergencies involving British nationals only)
British Council Baghdad
Tel +964 (0) 7901 911 971
British Council Erbil
Tel +964 (0) 7507 430 903; + 964 (0) 7705 485 172
British Council Manchester (DelPHE-Iraq team)
Tel +44 (0)161 957 7671
No. You should make your own travel insurance arrangements via your university.
The British Council in Baghdad can provide support with UK visa applications. The application process for UK visas is as follows:
- The visa application form should be completed by the traveller,
- Completed application forms should be submitted along with visa fees, passports, supporting documentation*, personal photographs and identification to either the British Council office in Baghdad (for applicants from Iraq) or to the visa section in Erbil (for applicants from Iraqi Kurdistan),
- The visa sections (in both Baghdad and Erbil) will send the original copies of the applications and passports to the Amman office via a courier for processing and reviewing,
- An appointment will be arranged for individual applicants to sign applications in Iraqi Kurdistan and Baghdad,
- The applicant's data will be reviewed and processed, and authorised visas will be printed in Amman,
- Passports will be sent back to Erbil & Baghdad,
- For applicants from Baghdad, British Council Iraq will be responsible for collecting and delivering the passports to applicants.
*SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED
These documents are important when applying for UK visit visas because they provide information about your personal circumstances in the country in which you are applying.
- Previous passports
- Copies of your Iraqi ID Card and Nationality Certificate
- Evidence of marital status and any children
- Evidence of your employment (i.e. any letter from your employer on headed paper stating what you do, how long you have worked for them, your monthly salary and confirm that you have been authorised time off; plus payslips, tax documents etc. If self employed, business registration documents) OR
- Evidence of your studies (i.e. a letter from the educational institution on headed paper confirming the course of study, enrolment and leave of absence).
- Personal bank statements
- Evidence of accommodation in the UK (i.e. hotel booking, invitation letter etc).
In addition to the documents above, the following documents are required depending on the category you are applying for.
- Evidence of who invited you to the UK and the itinerary (i.e. meetings or schedule of events)
- Evidence of who is paying for the trip
- Document from your employer (or Ministerial Order) confirming that you are travelling to the UK on business and why.
IMPORTANT: It can take up to one month, sometimes longer, to complete this process so please factor this into your plans.
Please contact the British Council in Baghdad for assistance