1.Q: What is the passing score in IELTS?
A: There is no passing score in IELTS. However, universities or embassies may tell you the band score they require.
2. Q: How is my overall band score calculated?
A: Your overall score is calculated automatically by our computer software system. It's not a simple average score out of the four single ones.
3. Q: Can I cancel the scores?
A: No, but you can choose not to pass on the scores to embassies or universities.
4. Q: What is the validity period of the test results?
A: Your test score remains valid for up to two years after the test date. However, receiving institutions may make their own decision on the validity period of the scores.
5. Q: Will a previous test score affect my later score?
A: No, the scores from each test are independent.
6. Q: Can the IELTS band scores be directly compared to scores in TOEFL or CET?
A: No, these three tests are different language tests designed for different purposes.
7. Q: How can each candidate get a fair score from his/her examiner? Are there any differences from examiner to examiner, and from area to area?
A: All band scores are based on the candidate's performance on the test day using the same assessment criteria to ensure fairness. All IELTS examiners are fully trained and their performance is regularly monitored.
8. Q: Can I ask my local British Council office to change my scores?
A: No, you can't.
9. Q: Can I get my score by telephone, fax or e-mail?
A: No, you cannot. In order to maintain a strictly confidential service, the test results are disclosed on the Test Report Form or you can go to the MY STATUS page to see the test results online.
10. Q: How can I get my Test Report Form?
A: You Test Report Form will be sent by EMS (limited to local/domestic service) to the address given on your IELTS Application Form.
11. Q: When can I get the test result?
A: Usually your Test Report Form will be sent out by the British Council offices 10 working days after the test.
12. Q: What is included in the Test Report Form?
A: In the Test Report Form, you will find:
The test module you have taken
The Centre Number, Test Date, and your Candidate Number
Your name, photo, gender, ID / passport number, and Date of Birth
Your first language
Your previous test date and venue (if you have taken the test before)
Your four individual band scores for Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
Your overall band score
The Writing and Speaking Examiners' Numbers
The administrator's signature
The date of printing
An explanation of Bands 1 to 9 on the back of the TRF
13. How many Test Report Forms can I get?
A: You will receive only ONE original Test Report Form. Please keep it safely. We cannot give you any further copies.
14. Q: What if I haven't received my Test Report Form four weeks after the test?
A: Please contact your British Council office immediately.
15. Q: What if I lose my Test Report Form?
A: We suggest you make photocopies of your Test Report Form as soon as you receive it. If you lose the original copy, we can help you to send your results to embassies or universities, although we will not issue you with any further Test Report Forms.
16. Q: How can I get wrong information on my Test Report Form corrected?
A: Please contact the British Council offices in:
Beijing: (010) 65906903 ext. 312/284 (for candidates who took their test in Beijing, Tianjin, Harbin, Shenyang, Dalian, Changchun, Jinan, Qingdao, Xi'An, Urumqi, Zhengzhou, Wuhan and Changsha)
Guangzhou: (020) 83351316 ext. 273 (for candidates who took their test in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Nanning and Haikou)
Shanghai: (021) 63912626 ext. 278 (for candidates who took their test in Shanghai, Hangzhou, Nanjing and Hefei)
Chongqing: (023) 63736888 ext. 225 (for candidates who took their test in Chongqing, Chengdu and Kunming)
Also see No.9 in the "" section of this document.