Active Citizens is a British Council programme in the area of intercultural dialogue and global citizenship with a guiding principle Globally connected, locally engaged. The vision is a world in which people recognise their potential and exercise their responsibility to engage with others in the positive sustainable development of their communities at local and international level.
Active Citizens aims to contribute to positive social change within communities and to global sustainable development, by establishing an enduring global network of leaders who as influencers in their communities’ dialogue, learn and act together to address global and local issues.
The British Council works with youth community leaders, NGOs and local governments to build on their own skills and models to mobilize the citizens and create community cohesion. It aims to increase the contribution of those who already play a role in their local communities, through civic engagement or through volunteering.
The programme offers five components to participants and their communities:
- National training workshops participants will develop into Community Motivators. Workshop focus on global citizenship, working effectively with difference to achieve better understanding of the local community and global interdependency.
- Cascading workshop content locally will allow trained Community Motivators to become partners of British Council, and, equipped with tools and training manuals, pass the knowledge to Community Members, creating a learning and active environment.
- Social Action Projects will be planned and delivered by the participants based on what they learned and where they feel they can make a positive impact in their own community and communities they interact with.
- International exchanges are opportunities for Community Motivators to develop professionally by taking part in international exchanges (1 week) with communities or organisations in the UK.
- Networking will provide the participants the opportunity to experience international practises and learn from other countries, especially in areas of common interest.
Active Citizens was launched in 2009 and is currently running in 20 countries in Europe, as well as in 8 countries in Africa and Asia. In Europe, within three years, we will have built a network of 120 community leaders and master trainers, some 3000 Active Citizens who will have built networks with 100,000 participating in their social action projects.
In Bosnia and Herzegovina, the programme ran in the Northwest region of the country and was delivered in partnership with MDGF and UNHCR. Active Citizens from 17 different organizations and 13 towns successfully finished the programme, mobilizing over 130 volunteers, implementing 10 Social Action Projects and raising over 60,000KM in partnership contributions to their communities.
In 2011 and 2012, Active Citizens will be implemented in Mostar, in cooperation with Mostar City Youth Council starting in November 2011.
British Council with its partners will invest in your community with this unique programme content and cover all costs. The programme offers a range of opportunities for individuals, organisations and communities that participate to:
- facilitate sharing of good practice and learning in community relations and community development, locally and internationally
- develop capacity to contribute towards positive social change, through enhancing professional skills, intercultural competences, confidence and networks
- build understanding and trust between people from diverse backgrounds
- create long-term international links that improve recognition of your community’s achievements nationally and internationally, and enable your community to access international ideas and best practice strengthen local relationships between individuals, groups and organisations involved in community development and social action.
For all other questions and information please contact Emir Omeragic.
For more information please visit the Active Citizens programme website