Text only  Print this page | E-mail this page| Add to favourites
British Council Bangladesh

Want to improve your English so you can study in UK?
Find out more
How we can help
Foundation courses
Education UK
Useful links about studying in the UK
Pre-departure Briefing
Foundation Courses

If you are finishing your HSC (but no A levels), and would like to study for your first degree in the UK, you will need to do a foundation course at an UK college or University. As well as studying, you will have the opportunity of tasting the best of UK education through a creative and challenging environment.

What is a Foundation course?
This is a one-year university preparation course especially designed for overseas. Normally, it is for school leavers who have studied a non-British curriculum, but wish to pursue a degree in the UK.

Why do I need to do a foundation course?
There is a difference between the education system in the UK and Bangladesh. In the UK, students take A levels after thirteen years of education, in Bangladesh students take the HSC after only twelve years. The foundation course is as a bridge between your current qualifications and UK University undergraduate entry requirements. Courses are not only designed to bridge academic gaps, but also help you improve your English and learn about UK life and culture in preparation for university.

What courses can I do?
There are a variety of foundation courses on offer in the UK, which cover a wide range of subjects such as business, computing, communications, law, art and design, engineering, and social science. Teaching methods are designed to enhance your study skills such as learn problem solving research and analytical thinking.

Where can I study for a foundation course?
Many universities and colleges offer foundation courses which are listed on the Education UK website, or contact us for information.

Would a Foundation Course guarantee me a place at the University or College of my choice?
No. Entry requirements to UK universities and colleges are a competitive process and no student in the UK is guaranteed acceptance on qualifications alone.  The foundation course, will, however, provide you with the opportunity to achieve qualifications and develop skills, which you will need to be accepted. If you want to take an undergraduate degree at different university or college from the one where you are studying for your foundation course, you must check before hand that they will accept the foundation course qualification as part entry on to your degree course.

Applying for a foundation course
To gain entry on to a foundation course, you will need to be proficient in English. You will need an IELTS score of at least 4.5 or equivalent. However, some universities will require an IELTS score of 5.5, depending on your chosen course. Students who do not hold any formal English language qualification may have to attend an English language course prior to joining the foundation course.  Alternatively we can help you achieve the required English level prior to applying for the course.Students should also hold an HSC certificate

What will I do for accommodation?
Normally international students are offered accommodation on the university campus during the foundation course.  Alternatively, there are many other types of accommodation available - some students prefer to rent a flat or room, while others share a house. You can find out more about types of accommodation available on the UKCISA The Council for International Education website.  Contact us if you need further information.

Am I allowed to work while I’m studying?
If you are studying for longer than six months, UK Immigration Dept will permit you to work for up to twenty hours per week, and full-time during college/university holidays.You will normally be able to find jobs advertised in local shops, newspapers, job centres or on the university notice boards.

Will I have to pay for health care?
Students studying for more than six months can visit any National Health hospital or doctor, for medical treatment, free of charge.  You may have to pay for any medication you are prescribed and dental treatment.

For more information or advice about foundation courses contact us.

The United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.
A registered charity: 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland)
Our privacy and copyright statements.
Our commitment to freedom of information. Double-click for pop-up dictionary.

 Positive About Disabled People