We are a cultural relations organisation and our work aims to build engagement and trust for the UK through the exchange of knowledge and ideas between people worldwide. Consequently, the British Council can only offer support to arts and creative economy work that is likely to contribute to the development of cultural relations between the UK and the rest of the world.
From time to time we will have competitions or funded project opportunities available to designers and these are openly advertised on our website.
We do not have any funds to help with the development of commercial products or for the purpose of developing or promoting work. We suggest you contact the following organisations and institutions that offer funding and commercial advice to designers:
– the national development agency for the arts in England, distributing public money from the Government and the National Lottery.
– UK Trade & Investment provide business opportunities, expert trade advice and support to UK based companies wishing to grow their business overseas.
– the leading body for the funding, development and advocacy of the arts in Scotland, this organisation will soon merge with Scottish Screen to become Creative Scotland and support for design will be available through The Innovation Fund.
- Work with Scottish companies to help them access finance and exploit new markets.
– The leading body for funding, development and advocacy of the arts in Wales. Arts Council of Wales is able to support projects involving international artists in Wales through its funding schemes.
- Wales Arts International's run an open application fund for international activity called the International Opportunities Fund.
- Arts Council Northern Ireland support design in a number of ways. Designers can apply for funding for international and locally based projects under the Support for the Individual Artist Programme