03 April 2013
The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide. We collect and use personal information in order to help us offer individuals appropriate information, products and services. We are committed to ensuring that personal information is protected and managed in accordance with UK standards, international good practice and individuals’ rights.
Our commitment to privacy will be based on UK standards and internationally accepted privacy principles and fair information practices. This policy will apply to all locations where we operate, including where local regulations do not exist. Where different privacy and data protection laws are in place in different countries, we will comply with those laws insofar as they meet internationally accepted privacy principles and fair information practices.
When we ask people for their personal information, we will:
- explain why we need personal information and only ask for the information we need
- protect the information we are given and make sure that only those who need access are able to do so
- only share the information within the British Council network and with other organisations where such sharing is necessary or where we have the individual’s consent.
We also undertake to:
- adopt and maintain a procedure which allows people to request access to the personal information we hold on them and which allows them to complain where they believe we have mishandled their information in some way
- appoint appropriately trained and qualified staff to ensure compliance with this policy
- keep personal information for no longer than necessary
- not transfer personal information across international boundaries except where we can ensure appropriate protections for the rights and freedoms of individuals.
The British Council will review this policy at least every three years to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and ensure good practice, or after major organisational or technological changes.
The status of this document is British Council policy. It was approved by Martin Davidson, Chief Executive, on 1 November 2011 and is due for review on 1 November 2014.
Our data protection code for partners and suppliers (pdf 346kb) sets out our approach to working with other organisations in this area.